Thursday, May 15, 2014

Diary-thing: Oh no, there goes Tokyo.


So yesterday I ended up going to see the new Godzilla.
It was -unfortunately so- different from what I expected.
[SPOILERS FOLLOWING]
The first half of the movie was mostly just exposition of plot and introduction of this giant flying spider-lizard that runs on nuclear waste. It's alright, good at best, and Bryan Cranston pulls a good role, but for the first hour Godzilla is nowhere to be seen, or heard. Then it kind of just appears, and the rest of the movie is army planning how to kill both monsters, while they fight against each other.

My main problem with the movie was how Godzilla itself was surprisingly meaningless deus-ex-machina side character. The main focus of movie was always in the main character guy, and while Godzilla and the other monster do fight at the end, even that happens at background, while the main focus stays on main character and his team of soldiers trying to plant nukes or whatever.
I don't come from the background of being huge Godzilla-fan, but I get the feeling that long-time fans may unfortunately be bit disappointed. It has entertainment value, I'll give that, but Pacific Rim came out year ago, and did this kind of movie much better.

That being said, if I didn't like the movie at all, or didn't care, I wouldn't have bothered writing this much about it. It was just kind of "Why isn't Godzilla bigger character in it's own movie?"-experience for me.

Still, it inspired me to make that picture earlier today. Made it entirely on Adobe Illustrator in about 2-3 hours. Good practice, and one of the best works I've done in a long time, I'd say.


School is going fine. There's been lots of stuff about 3D-animation and post-production, with week or two of Photoshop's and Illustrator's basics. I'm learning stuff, even if final products are far from Pixar-quality.


With videogames, I've been hooked HARD on Metal Gear-franchise!
I could quite literally talk hours about Metal Gear's attention to detail, amazing gameplay gimmicks, dumb-awesome plot, gameplay-flow and anything really, but the post's pretty long already. I'll just say that especially Metal Gear Solid 3 has become my favourite game.

Still waiting for Shovel Knight's release. Should be any day now, really. Hopefully before E3, maybe?

Finally, I want to mention Hover - Revolt Of Gamers. It's interesting-looking project that mixes some Mirror's Edge (no guns though, fortunately) and Jet Set Radio, and seems to even throw some elements from old Tony Hawk's Pro Skater-games. Concept looks definitely interesting, and Hideki Naganuma, composer of Jet Set Radio is making the soundtrack, so if you're into backing Kickstarter games, I'd strongly suggest this one (I threw $30 into it's direction). There's still week to go to pledge, and every dollar makes the game a bit better.

That's pretty much everything. See you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment